drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Reno Class A Champion!

By drunknknite
Not a bad start to 2008 as I have accomplished something I have never accomplished before. For the first 8 months of the year, our club is first focused on the class championships, and then the club championship. For the last 4 years I have not been able to participate in these tournaments because I was living in Chicago, and then in Vegas. So this year I am excited that I am finally able to participate in both these events, it is something I looked forward to for a long time. The last time I played the Class Championships I was 17, and I had to play B because my rating was 1601. It took me 3 years after that tournament to keep my rating over 1600. Needless to say I didn't really belong in that class and I scored very poorly. The situation for this tournament was very different. This time I was the top seed. But I still managed to win rather unconvincingly, David Peterson surprised everyone with a very strong performance scoring 4/5 in the first 5 rounds but lost last night which meant that my 4.5/6 was good enough to win the tournament.

I posted every game but for easy reference:

Round 1: W vs Barry Brandt
Round 2: D vs David Peterson
Round 3: W vs Grant Fleming
Round 4: W vs Eric Shoemaker
Round 5: L vs Edwin Simanis
Round 6: W vs George Fischer
 

5 comments so far.

  1. Chessaholic February 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    Congrats!
  2. Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    You just won a class A championship, and I get to play you tomorrow. While I am not literally peeing my pants, there'll definitely be some psychology going during the match.

    Oh, yeah, and congratulations. you got good score!
  3. drunknknite February 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    Thanks guys!

    Cool strongbad picture lep.
  4. Sir Nemo March 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM
    wow congrats! that's a really impressive score!
  5. drunknknite March 4, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    nemo - Thanks! Although I must say I am not completely satisfied with my performance. I played well enough though I guess.

Something to say?