drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

What Just Happened?

By drunknknite

Last night Edwin Simanis and I played our make up game from last Thursday. He was in last place in this tournament and I was leading comfortably. I did not expect to have any problem in the game and he ended up giving me a piece for two pawns in 10 moves. And I was Black! But then something very strange happened...



The position after White's 15th move is where everything suddenly went astray. I spent over half an hour on my 15th move (I usually have plenty of time). The two lines I was trying to decide between were 15...Qh5 and 15...Bd6 but my analysis of 15...Bd6 was focused on 16.e4 since I believed (still believe) this to be the best move. Then he played 16.f4 and I was so focused on these suffocating attacking positions that I foolishly continued to attack.

Then for the next 10 moves or so I still thought I was easily winning and firmly in control. I did not give Ed enough credit. He hung tough and came up with some strong ideas. Then when I finally realize I'm losing I have to come up with drastic measures and to add to this catastrophe I was low on time. Being in time pressure is a very unfamiliar feeling for me at the chessboard and I reacted very poorly. I never fully recovered from the fact that I had actually lost the initiative. I just kept playing as if I had the initiative when I didn't.

When this game was finally over (I did manage to keep it tense for a while) it was by far the worst feeling I have felt in a long time. How did I blow a game where my opponent gave me a piece on move 10??! Going 0-4 in LA cannot even come close to comparing how I felt after this game. I played like shit.

It's ok though, tomorrow's another day and another game. One great thing about chess is that no matter how bad you fuck up, the next game you still get to start at the same position.
 

7 comments so far.

  1. transformation February 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    man. wow! tough love indeed. thank you for sharing. dk
  2. Unknown February 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    It was nice European styling until...
  3. Chessaholic February 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    One great thing about chess is that no matter how bad you fuck up, the next game you still get to start at the same position.

    Love that line.
  4. Anonymous February 17, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    For week 2, we're paired up. Could you make some of the same mistakes during our game? Thank you in advance.
  5. Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM
    BTW, best days for me to play are Thursday - Saturday...pretty much name your time. Wednesday is no-go, unless very late. Today and Sunday, after 6:30 easter
  6. drunknknite February 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    dk - thanks for stopping by.

    chessaholic - I won my next game in under 30 moves, optimism paid off.

    lep - I can't control myself, I turn into the Incredible Hulk at the board, you may be able to distract me with a chanting mascot and some skirts though..... As far as our game goes, did you say you wanted to play after 6:30 on Easter?? jk, I have chess on Thursday night, and am usually in no condition to play chess on the weekend, but tonight or Sunday would be good I get home about 815 eastern.
  7. Anonymous February 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM
    Sorry I didn't read your response on Tuesday. Sunday night works for me.

Something to say?