drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Silly Fischer

By drunknknite
I have played a man named Fischer in over twice as many rated games as anyone else. I had a losing score until winning 4 of our last 5 (including winning Thursday night) to level it at 5 wins, 1 draw, and 5 losses. Considering when we started playing each other my rating was somewhere in the 1300 range I don't think I fared too badly. He used to always tell me that if I just slowed down I would be a really good player. This was of course really annoying. But I didn't really have to slow down to beat him, after all I only spent 20 minutes on the following game. After the game he told me as he always does "See, you can play better than me."

UPDATE: I forgot to include something about this line. This is the Najdorf with 6.Bg5, which has pretty much been replaced with 6.Be3, but the day after this game was played Shirov played 6.Bg5 against Anand. I watched the game live and it was very entertaining. Check it out: Shirov-Anand, Morelia 2008



I was going to post a bunch of other games that we played but I'm lazy. There are some good ones though, maybe one day. I was also going to rant about how you shouldn't play the Najdorf if you don't know anything about it, but that's pointless.

Right now I'm just waiting for the result of the Shoemaker-Peterson game, which determines whether I win the Class Championship or not after that unfortunate slip against Simanis.
 

5 comments so far.

  1. ChargingKing February 20, 2008 at 11:50 PM
    Kasparov says the reason that 6...Nbd7?! isn't played anymore is because its a premature development. It doesn't take the white knight off of d4 and doesn't prevent white from a gradual, steady development of the pieces. 7.Bc4 Qa5 8.Qd2 e6 9.0-0-0 b5 10.Bb3 Bb7 11.Rhe1 Be7 12.f4 if 11...b4?! Then 12.Nd4! is very strong.

    I'm a "junior" Najdorf player so your game sparked my interest.
  2. Unknown February 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM
    so now you can be "the man who beat fischer (george)"
  3. drunknknite February 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM
    CK's line should read 12.Nd5! at the end, not Nd4 as there is already a knight on d4.

    Chris - That line is good, but it's more Sozin like, which I am not familiar with, although I have Golubev's book on the Sozin and it is good I just haven't really looked at it. That's why I didn't play Bc4 in the game, although it was one of the first thoughts that came to mind. Actually Garingo had told me during the first few moves that Fischer would probably play Nbd7 without e6 and when Fischer played it I just smiled really broadly at him, the truth is that he should just play e6 at some point and transpose to the normal lines anyway. There's nothing better there.

    chessloser - I guess so. I'd rather have a real title though.
  4. Unknown February 22, 2008 at 2:40 AM
    Hi Kevin, sorry I got busy this week. We'll have to start our match sometime when we both get around to it.

    I am now thinking a rated match after the Far West, but if you want to play sooner, I'll try and squeeze you in!

    Congratulations on winning the Class A Championship.

    I know for many, it was up in the "air" so to speak, but for me, there wasn't any doubt as I usually defeat Peterson.
  5. Polly March 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    Damn! Only 11 times against him? I think some players around here I've played 11 times in a month.

Something to say?