drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Fischer Game 2

By drunknknite
This is the second game of the Gafni-Fischer match that was the quarterfinal round of the club championship. This was right before my trip to Las Vegas and it is not a very impressive game. I play horribly. It's interesting to note that Fischer deviates from the Najdorf he played against me in the past (here and here).

This was my first game analysis in a couple months. Bear with me, I'm just warming up. I think part of the reason I've been slow to resume posting is because after I got out of the habit of analyzing games I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully more games to follow..
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Chessaholic August 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    Not your prettiest game but hey, the end justifies the means :) I'm not sure I understand 35.Nh1 , why not something like Ne2-f4 where the knight seems to be well placed?

    Glad to see you're posting your game analysis again!
  2. Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    The endgame is played nicely but i dont know if i am so lyric about the rest of the game. I think black forgot that when you have bishops you have to open the position since closed positions favour knights.
  3. drunknknite September 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    chessaholic - this move came because i was reading a book and it had shown a position that this kind of move had been played. so it was overly influenced in my thought process, it is a bad move. i get like that sometimes when i study a subject i'll make moves related to what i was just reading.

    chesstiger- i think one of fischer's main flaws is that he never really tries to win the game. it makes for some very boring chess and costs him points.

Something to say?