drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Fischer Game 3

By drunknknite
At this point I was up 2-0 in the match so Fischer needed to win 2 consecutive games to stay alive. Needless to say, Fischer should have been reluctant to draw as this would eliminate him from the club championship, but I offered him a repetition and he chose to end the match this way. I was happy with the game, normally I would have played for a win but given the circumstances surrounding this game I felt that it was well worth just taking the half point.

Here is the game.
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous September 1, 2008 at 12:23 PM
    I doubt Fischer still believed in his chances. He never tried to win this game.
  2. Anonymous September 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM
    Agree with Chesstiger. He was probably more interested in salvaging a little pride ("I didn't lose all the games!")

    This happens a lot to certain personalities when they know they're overmatched. *raises hand*
  3. drunknknite September 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    Well... immediately after I stopped the clock he looked surprised and said that he thought I would break the repetition. That was pretty funny to me. In general I think you guys are right, he had given up hope.

Something to say?