drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

For LEP

By drunknknite
Since LEP asked so nicely, here is the game.

The original pawn sacrifice 13.f4 may be a little worse for White but I wanted to give the position the rather distinct character that I have been achieving good results in lately. After 22...Qxd2 Black forfeits all chances of winning and for the rest of the game I am never worse, there are times Black is able to put up more resistance but in essence I am risking absolutely nothing and playing to win on a mistake from Black. The beauty of the queen trade is that Black is forcing the pawn up endgame he achieves after the exchange of rooks on c3 and this seems to make him an overwhelming favorite, so it is difficult to resist. But once he accomplishes this position he realizes that the ball is really in my court. This was an ideal position for me to be in considering if I lost I would be eliminated. Tonight is the same, if I lose it is over. But... if I win it is over too...
 

4 comments so far.

  1. CMoB June 4, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    Well, there are more of us that like to see games :)

    Great game!

    I've always been wondering though, is there really any difference between playing 3.Nc3 or 3.d4, besides having the choice to go Spassky like?
  2. drunknknite June 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    Thanks.

    The reason I play 3.Nc3 is because a book told me to.

    Hahaha in Experts vs. The Sicilian they explain that by playing 3.Nc3 we avoid the Pin Variation: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cd 4.Nd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Bb4

    If Black tries 3...Nf6, 4.d4 would transpose into the Pin Variation, but there is 4.e5 transposing into the Nimzovitch Variation.

    Against all other normal moves: 3...d6 4.d4 is Scheveningen and the move Nc3 would have been played anyways, and 3...a6 and 3...Nc6 are also met with 4.d4 with a simple transposition of moves.

    You could also as you say go into the Closed Sicilian. I only play 3.Nc3 against 2...e6 and it is solely for the reasons mentioned above.
  3. ChargingKing June 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    Overtime in Gafni vs Case! way to give 110% hehe

    Link my new blog to your page!
  4. drunknknite June 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    I know, that last game was really silly of me. I played KID like you said though...

Something to say?