drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Still Kickin'

By drunknknite
Last night I played a little wild. I ditched the d4 experiment for the time being and went with my beloved e4. I scored the point. I found a pawn down ending that I thought offered me good winning chances. I'm very happy about the result, although to be honest, I all but guaranteed it to several people and all day I knew I would win the game. My friend asked me earlier in the day if I knew how it felt to just know you would get an A on a test, I said that's how I felt about my game. I made pretty good decisions, I took some unnecessary risks, but if there is one thing that I have learned from this match it is that Case does not want to enter a tactical battle. He tries to keep the game very calm. So I livened things up a bit to see how he would react. It was a very interesting game. I had to win though, I hadn't won in three weeks, I was getting anxious about it.... 1.5-1.5 with one game to go, I'm black but I don't think that's going to stop me from playing for the win.

PS Chess? thanks for the support. Also who ever else is out there, thanks.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous June 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    I all but guaranteed it to several peopleGood thing you won; otherwise, you'd be known as the Mo Williams of chess. (If you don't follow the NBA much, sorry, that won't make much sense.)

    Any plans on posting the game? Being confident in a pawn-down endgame doesn't happen much for me, so at least I'll enjoy it vicariously.
  2. drunknknite June 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    haha. i know exactly what you are talking about. although it seems to me that this playoff season is all about 'guarantees', every time i watch a post-game interview it goes like this:

    'what are your chances for next game?'
    'well we just have to move the ball well and we have chances to win.'
    'so are you guaranteeing a win for game 6?'

    it's like the interviewer is baiting the player into guaranteeing a win just so that they can make a headline out of it.

    i will post the game. basically my king was more active so i figured i would regain the pawn with a better endgame, which is what happened, although i could have done better not to regain the pawn and just to continue playing the endgame a pawn down.

Something to say?