drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

A Little Freaked Out

By drunknknite
This is Round 2. My first shot at a master. Apparently he is a legend in the Seattle chess scene. His name is Viktors Pupols. I played the opening terribly. Then recovered well and had a better game until he forced a draw. This game is probably the least eventful of the bunch.

Surprise! I'm hosting the game here.

Hope you like the format, I like it much better but it was a little tedious to get it to work. Still not that bad, if anyone wants tips let me know.

This was my first result against a master. This game is also very significant because it guaranteed that I would earn a FIDE norm. In order to get a FIDE rating you must play 3 FIDE rated players and earn 1 point out of 3. Then you must complete 6 more games (I read on the comments to one of iw's posts that you then have to score .5 out of your next 3, but I have not found this anywhere else). So I have 6 after this tournament but if I hadn't scored 1 point in my first three I don't think they would have counted. I'm not entirely sure of the rules but it's not that important since I fit all of the above criteria I just need 3 more games.

I was very happy with my 2 draws, even though I hate draws. It was a good way to start the tournament. I didn't really know what to expect for Round 3 the next morning. I figured I probably wouldn't necessarily play a stronger player and that I might get an easier game. Guess you're going to have to wait until tomorrow to find out...
 

14 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous March 25, 2008 at 10:15 PM
    Great game! And a good result against a 200 points higher rated player then yourself (not to mention the fact that he was a master).

    And about the ChessBase game presentation format, i always disliked the fact that the games can only be viewd from White's point of view. I prefer Chess Viewer Deluxe to present games. chessgames.com started using it now too.
  2. transformation March 25, 2008 at 11:28 PM
    lovely. i play the Caro, with thousands of games there, and this is all very subtle. if you missed anything, then i didnt see it. congratulations! dk
  3. likesforests March 26, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    Congratz! You're having a good month. You made expert, drew a master, and most important of all you seem to be winning the LEPer tournament. ;)
  4. drunknknite March 26, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    Edwin - Thanks for the tip.

    dk - Thanks. I was a little out of my element in this game because of the subtlety. In most of my games things are wild and crazy and that's when I feel at home.
  5. drunknknite March 26, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    likesforests - Thanks! I should start posting some of the games from that tournament, they are interesting. Hopefully I can stretch my streak out into a good year.
  6. Robert Pearson March 26, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    He is still perfect in the LEPers but has yet to play me! Bwahahaha! Watch out for the Deferred Wilson Gambit Declined! My Kung Fu is very strong!
  7. BlunderProne March 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM
    I play the C-K as Black but with the Main variation. I am not an expert with the Nd7 variation (favored by Anatoly Karpov). Bc4 over Bf4 definitely more favorable. In this closed position, control of d5 and e4 is paramount. Black will use the push c5 as a lever to pry open the center at a point when hsi king is safe.

    I think your opponent was too relaxed. After a commital move like Qb6, he should have been more agressive of your weak queen side. The fact that he wasn't gave you a chance to equalize. I suspect he was trying to go for a "quicker" kill on the king side rather than the static advantage of material and space on the queen side.

    It gave you the chance to equalize... well done. Nice that you could recover from a positional misjudgement like Bf4 against such a strong advisary.

    But what do i know... ;)
  8. Sir Nemo March 26, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    Seems like your chess is doing much better than my chess and poker adventures combined!
  9. Chessaholic March 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    must feel good to draw a 2200 player :) especially taking into consideration that you were slightly better in the end. way to go man.

    Love the new format. I've been wanting to use Chessbase's publishing function, but not being able to integrate it into Blogger has kept me from doing so. Using Google Pages for it is a good idea, I'm gonna give it a try as well.
  10. Anonymous March 27, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    Thanks for educating me about FIDE norms (and I've been the expert for how many years?). Straver's norm included a draw against Yermolinsky so he seemed surprised both at the height of his FIDE rating (2357) and when someone told him he might be able to claim the FM title outright.
  11. Anonymous March 27, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    Oops, Straver's draw was against Khachiyan in FWO 2004.
  12. drunknknite March 27, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    wahrheit - how does your kung fu normally do against this?

    bp - thanks for the comments. i thought that at least he should have put a rook on the open file, this would have severely limited my options. he definitely had a stronger position and it would make more sense to go after the pawns.

    nemo - hang in there. hard work off the board will always be rewarded on the board.

    chessaholic - it felt really good to know that i had outplayed him to the point where he wanted a draw. i was literally shocked when i came back to the board and he had sacrificed on g2. i thought maybe he found some voodoo or something and i was going to lose. then he started repeating and i realized he didn't really have much of a choice.

    soapstone - that weird post on iw's blog is the only reason that i'm familiar with them. before that i had no idea. do you have a fide rating?
  13. Robert Pearson March 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    Heh!

    Drunknknite, as I recall there was some bad Tom Cruz movie where the last of the Samurai showed how to use years of mental training and swordsmanship against such weapons:

    Die Gloriously!
  14. Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    Kung-fu can be quite effective against Howitzers, depending on which way the Howitzer is facing.

    Not much to say except super game, especially recovering from a bleh opening.

    It seems like Black was OK eating that Pawn (concluded after 12 seconds of analysis.)

Something to say?