drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

I was thinking about something...

By drunknknite
Last night I was working on the Maroczy a little bit when I realized something. I've been going about this all wrong. I have been looking at moves when I should be looking at games. You do not gain an appreciation for an opening by finding the next book move, you gain an appreciation for an opening by watching strong masters handle it against other strong masters. I don't even know the plans for White really, just the moves. And this is what has cost me, I've been missing the nuances because I haven't really been looking at games, I've been looking at positions. I haven't been looking at plans. In the Peterson game I knew he was going to play f5 after he played f4, but I didn't care to figure out how to play against it I just ignored it because I didn't really understand the main points. I have to figure out the main themes before I can make any progress.

Although I think AFTER you have acquired the themes by osmosis it is important to find the correct move orders to reach positions you are familiar with and comfortable in. Yesterday I got a lot of good ideas from a very unexpected source. More about this in a few months when I am ready to try them out.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Unknown January 16, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    HA! you struck the bullseye of truthiness right in the....bullseye. plans, main themes, the overall big picture. this is what i have to learn as well, and once i know WHAT i'm supposed to do, then i can work on HOW to do it...i can't wait to hear about your ideas from an unexpected source.
  2. Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    Great point. Had a funny conversation with another player/blogger last night - he mentioned taking a book on a new opening and literally flipping through it, looking only at diagrams and watching the constellations of pieces change. This was half-serious but the concept was to get a really broad concept of thematic piece placement. Details of course to be studied later. (Time permitting :)

Something to say?