drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Leonid Stein

By drunknknite


So if you've been following this blog you know that I have tried to focus my studies recently on positional sacrifices (mainly pawn and exchange, since these are the most common).  What is cool about the approach to studying I laid out last post, is that oftentimes there will be similar themes throughout.  For instance, in studying old masters I am around the year 1965 (I've been going in order) and this is the time of Spassky, Petrosian, Tal, Larsen, Kortchnoi was just coming up, and then there's this guy Stein, who is not quite like the rest.  He didn't become a master til age 24 but then made a serious run at the world title.  Anyways, the point is I am looking at his 
games and he makes these positional sacs that today are still pretty impressive, in his time they 
must have been unthinkable...  He's pretty cool though, and it's good timing that I am trying to 
learn themes that he invented.  Like look at his 18th move in this game.

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?