drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

I'm Crazy.

By drunknknite
Conventional Wisdom says that against much weaker players we should just play a simple game because there is very little risk involved. I wanted to be somewhere 3 hours after this game started so I decided to complicate things. This game was really hard; I had so much fun. I definitely didn't know how to evaluate a lot of the positions, the material swings wildly around and both of our kings are open. My position is fragile and very time sensitive, but I was up to the challenge and I put some great moves together. It's just not my style to play a boring game.
 

5 comments so far.

  1. katar February 2, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    superb game, and by superb i mean psychotic. :p
  2. likesforests February 2, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    That was interesting! Your opponent had a reasonable rating and was playing the "safe and sound" Colle for a draw and you found ways to turn that into a hair-raising game and eventually a win!
  3. Chessaholic February 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Very exciting game! I tend to stay away from such complications in rated games, which I think is a bad habit that keeps me from learning some valuable lessons. Need to work on that.
  4. drunknknite February 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    katar/lf - thanks.

    cdawg - i took the pawn on h3 immediately and then after he played e4 i realized i had to enter into this line and i was very uncomfortable. i thought i was winning but it is so sharp i felt like if i slipped i would give him winning chances. like i said in the post it would have been 'easier' to just play a boring game and out maneuver him but after i took on h3 that was no longer an option. i had to bring out the big guns. :)
  5. Chessaholic February 2, 2009 at 11:49 PM
    good stuff kevin. big guns indeed :)

Something to say?