drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Glad that's over.

By drunknknite
Last night I huffed, and I puffed...

but I couldn't blow Alsasua's house down. Just a draw, but good enough to clinch a spot in the next stage of the championship and that's the much more important factor.


I'm not happy with the result. I held the advantage for almost the entire game and failed to produce the point. Last night after the game I just drank with a friend instead of the usual crazy insomniac state I get when blowing a win (where I'm up until the wee hours of the morning proving to myself that I should have won).

I'm also not happy with the way this tournament went. I played two good games out of six (that's counting last night as a good game...). That's not going to cut it. There's one round left but I am already looking ahead to the championship phase and the National Open in June. I think I should be able to produce good games with some extra effort. So that's where I'm at.

As far as the rest of this tournament there are 4 players who have clinched and 3 players with the potential to have 4 points or more, if they all achieve 4 then the 7 spots are decided. However if one of these players falters then there will be a whole bunch of 3.5's looking for the 7th spot. That's going to be a clusterfuck.

I also want to offer an apology to anyone that took offense to the statement I made regarding players at the club looking at my games with contempt. It was generated more by my own paranoia than anything, I overreacted. Instead I offer this...


Love me or hate me still an obsession
Love me or hate me that is the question
If you love me then Thank You!
If you hate me then Fuck You!


 

3 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous May 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    Funny video. Nice tie in with the chessboard print blouse.

    You should see the analysis of the cluster at www.renochess.org/scenarios.html.

    Are you going to publish the moves and blow-by-blow of the now-infamous contempt game from round 5?
  2. drunknknite May 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    ernie - i just like the song, the blouse is coincidental. you're really going to let this get decided by tiebreaks? what happened to tiebreak week? i think this will face harsh opposition and maybe you should consider having a quick tournament or something to decide between the 3.5's.
  3. Anonymous May 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    kevin - Tiebreaks it is. There are some scenarios where there is a 7-way tie. That could take another eternity to resolve. I don't think the outcry is going to be as bad as you think. I'm already aware of three people on the bubble who might step aside. Matches don't appeal to everyone.

Something to say?