drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Carelessness

By drunknknite
In my last game I talked a little about how I wanted the game to be over and I stopped paying attention. The game presented after the break is very similar. I get a huge advantage very early and by the time the queens are exchanged at move 33 I am up the exchange and two pawns. I was so mad that he wouldn't resign. I know this may be the wrong reaction but honestly this isn't in the D class, we are A class players. Why do I have to play this out? So I proceed to move my king into a skewer since I figured I didn't even have to look anymore and then I realize I just gave up my exchange....



On move 42 he offered a draw. I was furious. He doesn't have any winning chances. Of course he wants a draw. I am the only one who should offer a draw. I laughed (I know that's rude but fuck him) and he got all smug after I refused like I was disrespecting him in some way. How is it that old people (he was OLD) can be so disrespectful and not even notice and think that you are disrespecting them when you take offense? And then he makes such a passive move on move 46 and from there I was on cruise control. I wasn't even spending any time at the board that's an elementary win and he's still just playing it out like he's going to find a draw. In the lower classes it is not a guarantee that they will win so easily but I do not think any player rated over 1700 would have any trouble converting the position after Black's move 46 into a point. Would you play this out? Why?

I can say that I wouldn't play this ending out.

My last question for you is how confident are you that you would win this ending? Does this affect your answer from earlier?
 

5 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous January 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM
    I would play it out in hopes that same drawn Rook-pawn position would result. Some people have bad endgame skills in relation to their rating, so you never know.
  2. Chessaholic January 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    Black offering a draw at move 42 is comical. You’re up two pawns and clearly winning. As far as the game after move 46 – I think against an opponent with a rating close to mine I’d be pretty confident to win. Against higher rated players and with enough time on the clock I’d probably be somewhat confident (black doesn’t have much going for him after all), but much more cautious as I’d have to be much more precise and chances for a mistake on my part would be higher.
  3. likesforests January 11, 2008 at 4:01 AM
    I could win that endgame in my sleep, but as Black I would play it out a little further to see what happens when Black's a-pawn and White's b-pawn meet. If pawns are exchanged I play on, if not I resign.
  4. drunknknite January 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    lep - true

    chessaholic - not sure that chances of making a mistake would be higher against higher rated opponent, I definitely wouldn't have played Kc2 earlier if I had any respect for my opponent at that point. If you were being more cautious chances are you wouldn't make a serious mistake, but it is true that they may be able to exploit your inevitable errors better than a player of your calibre or weaker

    likesforests - i like your style
  5. Polly January 12, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    I don't think I would resign at move 46. (This being said by someone who tends to resign earlier then later.) It's true white is ahead, but I'd probably play on awhile just to see how eell white plays the ending. Certainly if the opponent is lower rated I would want him to prove his end game ability. The clock also would be part of my consideration in playing on or not.

    I certainly would not offer a draw when down by two pawns.

    It should be an easy win for white, but one can't get over confident. Too often a pitched away "easy wins" because of over confidence.

Something to say?