drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

French Domination

By drunknknite
Check out this rampage against the French...



This game's dedicated to BDK, for today's discussion on combinations. The only combinations are moves 17-18 and 23-25. I didn't 'see' what happened afterwards only that my pieces looked very active. Fritz confirms that my play is extremely accurate from move 13 onwards. (19 Nh7 may have been better, other than that, I challenge you to find an improvement.)
 

7 comments so far.

  1. SamuraiPawn December 13, 2007 at 1:06 AM
    You kick ass man! I really like how you gave back material to get your knight in a menacing position. Great game!
  2. Liquid Egg Product December 13, 2007 at 9:16 AM
    Was this really a 5 minute game? Not too many people scare me, but you seem to be the type of player I'd do very poorly against. And I normally don't fear class A's.
  3. Chessaholic December 13, 2007 at 11:43 AM
    very cool attacking game. love the combination on moves 23-25!
  4. drunknknite December 13, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    Thanks guys, I hadn't posted in a few days and I played this game (literally 20 minutes before it was on this site) and I had been thinking about combinations so I figured I would throw it up here.

    Samurai - It's pretty funny that right after I win a piece I just give it back. Just goes to show it's good to give back to the community as long as it serves some selfish purpose :).

    LEP - Yes 5 minute game. I was getting down to a minute around move 23 because I saw the idea just wasn't sure it was worth it. One of my big weaknesses in blitz is that I spend a lot of time on critical moves (20s-1min) and it often costs me. Sometimes it pays off though because if you find a good move they have to take their time too.
    You should be very afraid (I think a couple of the experts at the Reno Chess Club are more afraid of me than anyone else at the club). I don't play like an A player.

    Chessaholic - I played Rc6 just to shut down the knight (all of Black's pieces look bad after this move). Then I realized that there were further advantages to this move, the weakness of the e6 pawn. This combination was much harder to initiate than the earlier combination, I figured I would probably get his queen for the rook and knight (there's so many ways...), but then I was left with only a rook and a queen. Then I saw that I would also have 3 extra pawns and that f5 and d5 would be weak, so I snapped off f7.
  5. drunknknite December 13, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Chessaholic December 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM
    It's the kind of combination I think I could find in a slow game, but at this point I'm not sure I'd find it in a Blitz game.

    For some reason, I have the opposite problem from what you describe as your problem in blitz: I don't take nearly enough time to think about moves, most of the time I just play what feels most natural. I'd say in blitz I hardly ever spend more than 20 seconds on a move. While it frequently works out (I can cause enough complications for my opponent that he can't figure out without running out of time), I'm not particularly proud of such wins. I think I need to find more of a balance in blitz between taking too little and too much time.
  7. James Stripes December 19, 2007 at 4:37 PM
    5...Ng8?? +-

    I'll look at the rest of the game now. BTW, I've played or chatted with someone with the moniker of nooB, or something close to that, on one or two chess sites. I wonder if he/she is the same as my victim in:

    Stripes - noob [C64]

    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Bc5 4.0–0 d5 5.Nxe5 dxe4 6.Nxf7 Kxf7 7.Qh5+ g6 8.Qxc5 Bd7 9.f3 Nf6 10.fxe4 Ke8 11.Bxc6 Bxc6 12.Qe5+ Qe7 13.Qxf6 Qc5+ 14.d4 1–0

Something to say?