drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Endgame Magic

By drunknknite
After three games of the WSO I was 3-0 and it was pretty easy to narrow down the pairings. I was going to play Ethan Peake, who I had played exactly one year before in Round 5 of the 2006 WSO, and I was going to have White, just like last year. Last year we had played a very popular line of the Dragon and we both figured we would play the same way this year. I went home and looked at the line pretty intensely for a couple hours, figuring that if I had to play something else I probably wasn't losing anything by prepping this line. We followed a game for 25 moves, I honestly used 2 minutes for my first 25 moves of this game. But then it got really interesting. And the tactic that finally seals the endgame is pretty instructive.

This post is for likesforests and Ernie, this ending is crazy...


 

2 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous December 2, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    Grant told me the story of how he walked by and saw your board with 25 moves made and 2 minutes off your clock, and that you later explained that you followed a master game for 25 moves into a completely won endgame. I'll look at your game, its ending, and its stem game. How do you choose a game and how do you accept or reject its moves (aside from what Fritz or Junior say)? I tried to prepare openings like a master once, but gave up when it just became too much to prepare for so many possibilities. I'm sure the GMs do this all the time, but even for this small Reno Club, how do you know I'm not going to switch to the Reti next week?
  2. Liquid Egg Product December 2, 2007 at 6:55 PM
    What Ernest said. This boggles my mind.

Something to say?