drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Chess Variants!?

By drunknknite



So I decided that I would find a good image and use it to inspire a post. Being the retard that I am, I just typed "chess" in Google Image Search. Well, you get a lot of bullshit back. And nothing even remotely inspiring. But then I come across the picture above and I'm like what the fuck is that?


Have you ever heard of Hexagon Chess? And if you think that's fucked up, check out Dunsany's Chess, where one side has a normal set up and the other side gets 32 pawns! Who the fuck is playing these games? Maybe we could start playing a variant (check out wikipedia's list of chess variants) and develop a whole new opening theory. We could have variations named after us and everything...
And we could all wear this shirt...
 

4 comments so far.

  1. Chessaholic December 5, 2007 at 9:51 PM
    LOL that's some crazy shit...
  2. Liquid Egg Product December 6, 2007 at 7:20 AM
    Some variants seem halfway compelling, like maybe if there's an extra piece or so thrown in. (Star Trek chess isn't as good as regular chess, BTW).

    Hexagon chess SOUNDS like it should be interesting (three colors of square, so you get three Bishops, etc.) But this doesn't do it for me...
  3. SamuraiPawn December 6, 2007 at 9:28 AM
    Oooooh! See you've made some improvements to your site. Looking good man, looking good... ;)
  4. drunknknite December 6, 2007 at 10:23 AM
    I play bughouse, and I used to play crazyhouse when internet chess was in its infancy. But I was honestly really surprised to see how many different variants there are. None of them do it for me either, but they are kinda interesting. Like I said.. who the fuck is playing this shit??

    samurai - glad you like it, it still has some glitches but I'm working on it. I need to learn some html anyways...

Something to say?