drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Knockout, eh?

Category: By drunknknite
I personally think that the knockout in Khanty-Mansiysk is one of the worst high level tournaments that there is. Why are there 128 players? Here is the first round http://cup2007.fide.com/results.asp. Aside from a couple upsets, pretty much what you would expect. The higher seeds getting through easily. I know that they want to experiment with different formats than the double round robin, but I would still rather see just the top 16 players go at it.

That being said I am rooting heavily for Mamedyarov, who has captured my attention in the past year and has been playing very good chess. I think that Ivanchuk, who did have a spectacular year, has collapsed (look at his more recent results) and will go down easily in the next few rounds. Carlsen is getting better very quickly but I do not think this is his year. Of course Svidler, Grishy, and Aronian should never be counted out and Shirov had a good performance in the Tal Memorial (relative to Kramnik's sheer dominance of that tournament). Anyways, the later rounds should be interesting but until then this tournament sucks.

I almost forgot to congratulate Yuri Shulman (my old coach) for getting to the second round.
 

4 comments so far.

  1. SamuraiPawn November 26, 2007 at 1:12 PM
    Just wanted to thank you for the encouragement and for recommending "The Art of Attack in Chess". I started studying it today and have already had a few eye openers. The level of tactics and explanations seem to fit my current level very well.

    Thanks man!
  2. SamuraiPawn November 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM
    You looking for students? If so, I would be very interested.
  3. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 5:30 PM
    No problem on the recommendation, that's a must read for any chess player. I am looking for students because I think helping other people will help my game. I don't have a structure or anything yet because I haven't taught anyone but my little brother and he was easy because he picked it up quick like me. Actually that's not true, one night I taught my roommate in school (he had never played before), anyways we played a bunch of times that night and then he was pretty good, after that he could play with anyone around school, I'd put him around 1200 strength. That night was funny though, kind of related to the drunk chess post but I think a slightly different intoxication, he just kept setting up the pieces. We must have played at least 30 games. I don't know if we've played that many games since, once he realized he could beat other people he stopped playing me for some reason.
  4. Liquid Egg Product November 27, 2007 at 8:56 AM
    I love the idea of a different format of tournament, but then, I'm a sucker for variety.

    The possibility of upsets makes things exciting (one of the reasons why something like March Madness is so compelling, even without the gambling.)

    Round-robins certainly have their place, and are better for determining the best player during the tournament. But it can't match the tension that a knockout tournament has!

Something to say?