drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Sweet.

By drunknknite


In early January when I became really interested in chess again I set a new high 5-minute rating on ICC of 1715. Then I quickly lost 100+ points to go under 1600. Since I crossed back over 1700 I have set a new high almost every day I have played and my rating is 1933. Now I need to work on my standard rating which is lower than I can ever remember it being. Chess is fun again.
 

5 comments so far.

  1. Chessaholic February 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Sweet indeed man! One of these days I'm going to kick your ass though :) All I need is more pointers from you hehehe...
  2. Lauri February 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    I know the relation between feeling good and rating. Couple of weeks back my ratings in FICS started to sank. For a while I felt I was somehow worse and not as good a person as before and I did feel worse. But then I tried a different view on my rating. This way I'm getting as equal opponents at all times.

    It takes one to some truth about me as human being. I'm not constant, my thinking isn't constant. My thinking, my ability to function changes all the time and I should take each moment as it comes - not fight against it.

    Anyway: the rating isn't absolute truth about you as a chessplayer it is constantly changing and relative and victim of circumstances: what kind of day does your 1600 or 2000 player happen to have today? What positions and ideas are more clear to you than him or her? And as what Josh Waitzkin says: which player is present in any given moment?
  3. tanch March 4, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    Congratulations!!!!

    That is quite a phenomenal record. Going up a couple of hundred points is indeed fantastic news!

    Well done!

    You mentioned about reaching a new high everyday? Did you do something different to boost your skills?
  4. wang March 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    Cool, congrats.
  5. Blue Devil Knight March 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    Rockin' the ramparts!

    Nice.

Something to say?