drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Dustin Off Some Classics

By drunknknite
I could make a lot of excuses for why I haven't been posting or playing or studying for the last six months but the truth of the matter is I was just bored of chess. I was considering not playing in the club championship but I'm sure I would have regretted it and I am glad that I decided to play. I also found inspiration to play in a very unexpected place and I feel like I am ready for some serious work at this game.

I am not happy with the format of the championship. I do not feel like we should have to play a 15 week round robin to decide who should move forward. I wish that this stage would have been limited to only 16 players, which would have taken half the time. I should not be having to play games with players rated 800 points lower than me. They don't have a chance. I'm glad to eat my words if one of these players moves forward but the chances of this happening are so slim that I feel comfortable saying that they should not be allowed to participate. Or at least should have to qualify in a tournament in December against other lower rated players. What I would suggest is only the top 16 rated players in the club (who want to play) get to play. I understand this is 'unfair' to players who are not rated in the top 16. Get over it, work harder, play next year.

That being said I do not have a really challenging game for 2 months and that gives me plenty of time to get back into the habit of studying. I figured I would lay down a plan since maybe that will make me more accountable.

Openings: I feel like my openings are in relatively good shape. I need to freshen up a few lines and maybe inject a few new ideas into my lines for Black. I don't think I need to change any lines, but if I find something I like I am not opposed to learning it. Also I haven't really been liking the White side of the Ruy lately so maybe I'll play the Scotch. In the past I have been very open about divulging opening choices and secrets on this blog, this year I really want to end that. I don't know if I will be posting games for the next 6 months. I know that's weak, I'll think about it. Anyways for openings I think to start 3-4 hours a week should be alright.

Middlegame: I have felt lost in the middlegame too much, I think the remedy for this is 5-10 games a day in my openings from strong players that I like. This will help me internalize the plans and concepts that stronger players are using in my favorite positions. It will also help me learn my openings, win-win.

Endgame: This is where I'm going to put most of my time. I want to be able to put an hour a day in but I don't know if I'm going to be able to actually do that. Maybe a post every day about my endgame training will keep me focused.

General Ideas: In the past I have read books, I think this year I'm going to move more to my database. I have so many resources on my computer that are untapped. I also want to start playing Fritz on a regular basis just for fun. I have been playing more blitz but my Standard rating on ICC is at what seems like an all-time low. So playing 1-2 Standard games a day should help bring that back up to an acceptable level.

I want to win this championship. I'm really worried about Garingo and Straver but I feel like if I stick to this plan throughout the round robin phase I will be playing at a higher level than I have ever played before. Which is all I can really ask for. I think that I can win I just need to put in the time to make it happen.
 

7 comments so far.

  1. Chessaholic January 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    Good to see you posting. Your study plan sounds reasonable, hope it works out for you. When you say you want to look at 5-10 games a day for middlegame practice, how much time do you plan to spend on each game?
  2. likesforests January 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    I see, I see... you're just worried that one of these days I'll improve a few hundred elo and face you in the Las Vegas National Open and I know all about your top secret Semi-Slav repertoire. ;)
  3. drunknknite January 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM
    Cdawg - That is a very good question. My plan is to have one or two games from a book that I spend probably 20-30 minutes each on and then take similar games from my database and run through very quickly probably without variations just trying to understand general plans and see them in action.

    LF - hahahaha. It's funny that this is actually the opening I am most worried about. In reality I am more worried about people from Reno although there are only a couple players that would actually take the time to outprep me. I just feel like I am giving everything away and I want to retain some secrecy in the opening phase. I will publish lines in time but some I do want to be able to keep some preparation under the rug. Maybe I can plan to change my lines for the match phase. Play 1.d4 with White..... hehehe, it's fun just to think about it.
  4. wang January 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Sounds...well sound to me.
    What I don't undertand is how is it that you won't play anyone challenging for 2 months? Round Roubin is one game vs. everyone, no? So, how do they do this? They just have you rifle through all the lower rated players first? Or is this just the way it worked out?
  5. drunknknite January 22, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    wang - my group is 13 players, there are 12 weeks where I have a game and 3 weeks where I have a bye. i have 2 byes and play the bottom 6 the first 8 weeks. my first game against someone rated over 1800 is march 19. that's just how it worked out i guess, you can go to www.renochess.org and check it out it is all very confusing.
  6. 64 squres of mind January 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM
    That should be so exciting!!.. I can't wait to see this Chess Club burning!!
  7. Unknown March 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    Hi Kevin, I finally addressed some of your concerns over at my blog. The Championship format should be in two parts: The Club Championship for A's and Experts. And the Lower Championship for B-players and below.

    It is ridiculous for Experts and A's to play down, against those who have no realistic chance whatsoever to win the thing or to even do well.

Something to say?