drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

Who Needs Sleep?

Category: By drunknknite
I woke up at 3:45 this morning half-hungover with really bad cottonmouth. I stumbled downstairs to grab two bottles of water, turned on some music (the silence was deafening), drank one of the bottles and figured I had just prevented a worse hangover when I woke up. But then the album ended and my mouth felt drier than the reading material for a statistics class. I got up and started browsing the internet while I drank the second bottle, then my eyes wandered to the board I have next to my computer. At the board was the end of a game, but last night when I was looking at it (very briefly) I thought Black was a little premature in resigning and I wasn't sure that I would even be able to enter into such a risky variation with White. But surely enough, at 5:00 AM, in the dark, with an annoying headache and slight nausea the variations poured out and Black is mated in all lines. Chess is weird like that.
 

12 comments so far.

  1. Unknown November 26, 2007 at 8:20 AM
    there really should be a section in tournaments for drunken chess. you must be drunk to play. it would make the most interesting chess games. i'd play in that.

    boil water, add honey, drink.

    also, pediatlite, that stuff for babies, will fix you. if you use gatorade, you have to cut it with water, out of the bottle, gatorade is too concentrated to really work.
  2. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 10:42 AM
    I usually just drink water and OJ and then Coke and eat something and shower. That's the five-step process I guess. I fell asleep shortly after this post however because I took two excedrin, slept til 2 and went snowboarding for the first time in my life. My ass hurts and my knees are bruised. Anyways, now I have a sore throat (fucking chicks), got any home remedies for that?
  3. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM
    Oh I forgot to comment on the drunk chess. I used to play online when I got home and wasn't ready for bed. Or sometimes people would come over when I was in school and they would see my set and be like I can beat you and I would be real fucked up but still somehow pull good moves out of my ass. So I'm down for a drunk chess tournament.
  4. Anonymous November 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM
    Alcohol just makes me sleepy so I'm not likely to enter, but at one of the Reno tournaments one time, a whole group of about 10 players from Seattle came sporting matching T-shirts for the Drunken Knights. Carol Mayer-Kleist disdainfully said that the group of them just get together and drink and play chess. Even though I don't drink much, it sounded like a fun crowd. I only knew the name of Dave Juchau. If you're in the Seattle area or at the Reno tournament, look for Dave and his fellow Knights.
  5. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM
    you mean someone already thought of drunken knight? i thought i was original...
  6. Chessaholic November 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM
    booze and chess, sounds like my cup of tea. count me in for a drunk chess tournament.
  7. Unknown November 26, 2007 at 8:00 PM
    i thought you were one of the guys with the drunken knight shirts at the reno tournament...
  8. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM
    If I ever make a drunknknite shirt it will be like that, not drunken knight. drunknknite is a play on drunknmunky, which is a line of clothing.
  9. drunknknite November 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM
    matter of fact i'm pretty sure i wore a drunknmunky shirt during the tournament
  10. Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    Oh, hey, we meet at the cantubury on monday nights from 8 til late. The drunken knights chess club has been around since about late 2001! If you are ever in town, come on down.
  11. drunknknite February 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    What city are you guys in dave?
  12. Anonymous March 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    Oh, as prevously mentioned, we are from Seattle.

Something to say?