drunknknite
He was winning,
but he didn't see it
and I escaped - as usual.

-Levon Aronian

I don't even know where to start.

Category: , By drunknknite
I've been playing chess as long as I can remember, my dad taught me on a plane when I was very young. However there have been several lapses in my career. I would say that I really became serious as a student of the game in fall of 2005 when at school. I had just broken through 1700 (now I have just broken through 1900) with a superb performance throughout the summer and I was basically buying two or three books a month from Amazon and just tearing through them.

I am, as Eric Shoemaker pointed out, primarily an attacking player, although I have won many games with positional finesse. I think that the reason that I am drawn to attack is that I have a good feel for the initiative. I am also extremely good at finding concrete lines and evaluating them. I have often been criticized for playing too quickly or pursuing plans (usually sacrifices or other significant changes in the position) when I could have simply improved my position or when it is speculative. I generally like positions that are very unbalanced, it gives me a good chance to be creative and it usually guarantees winning chances. The positions that I dread, not because I will lose them but because it is hard to win them, are positions that have the same pawn structure on both sides.

Anyways that's just a brief summary of my experience. I think that I will post a lot of games on here, study habits, results, rants, etc. It seems like fun.
 

4 comments so far.

  1. Robert Pearson November 6, 2007 at 3:56 PM
    Welcome to the jungle.
  2. Unknown November 6, 2007 at 8:46 PM
    Isn't that "Guns and Roses?" Now we are five...
  3. transformation November 7, 2007 at 11:07 AM
    welcome aboard.

    i will add you to my links.

    as you write more, i can advance it. if you write less, i will move it down, and modify all locations of all links in time, if not multiple times.

    not sure how much you need or want to connect with others--here--but you will find my links a good map of what is what here by level, saturation or frequency, if not quality.

    BTW: many have come, only to proclaim many new things, intentions, the so called 'i will post every monday, or even second tuesday' but so little of it lasts.

    write from the heart, when it is authentic. and when you feel that you have nothing of value to say, regularity or letting us at the same time into your universe is ok, such as:

    'I couldnt feel worse. there is nothing, or, oh well, that feels worth writing about. im lossing too much, and missing tactics, or no energy to study...'

    let us in on the goods. this is real blogging.

    or when we have no initiative, we can 'clean the garage', or here, make a plan, or if we have a plan, write it up, or if we've writen it up, share it with others, or if we've shared it, review it and revise it, or if we've done THAT, then represent it so it is more clear.

    warm regards, david k, or DK in seattle
  4. drunknknite November 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM
    Thanks transformation, your blog certainly gives me some idea of the depth that can be included in a blog.

Something to say?